can't make head nor tail of sth
不理解某事;(弄)不明白某事;对……一头雾水;对……摸不着头脑
to be unable to understand sth
(多用于疑问句和否定句,或表示说话人持否定态度)
例:
I couldn't make head nor tail of the damn film.
这部该死的影片我一点儿都看不懂。

That film was really confusing—I couldn’t make head nor tail of it.这部电影非常混乱,看得我一头雾水。
His handwriting was so bad that we couldn't make head or tail of it.
他的字迹非常潦草,我完全弄不明白他写的是什么。
He is speaking so fast that I can’t make head nor tail of it.他讲话速度很快,我压根儿就听不清他在说什么。
I can't make heads of tails of these recipes.
我弄不明白这些食谱。
I’m afraid I can’t make head nor tail of what you’re saying. Could you send it in an email, please?不好意思,你说的话让我一头雾水。你能写成文字用电子邮件发给我吗?

I couldn't make head nor tail of what he was saying.
我弄不懂他在说些什么。
I couldn't make head or tail of the incident.
这次事件让我摸不着头脑。

The doctors cannot make head or tail of his condition as all the blood tests indicate no illness.
医生们对他的病情一头雾水,因为所有的血液检查都表明他没有生病。
I could not make head or tail of what he said.
我完全不懂他说的话。
I was confused about what you had just said.
我搞不懂你刚才所说的。
be confused about感到困惑
I can't make out why they did so.
我搞不清楚他们为什么这样做。
I couldn't make it out at all.
我一头雾水。
make out理解;弄懂;辨认出;填写
He lost the thread of what he was saying when he was asked.
当他被问到时,他搞不清楚自己说了什么。
lose the thread of(讲话或争辩时)乱了头绪
My working hours are too irregular,I can't keep them straight.
我的工作时间太不固定了,我都分不清楚了。
Keep/ get sth. straight“把某事搞清楚
can't keep/ get sth. straight搞不清楚某事,弄不明白某事
注意:can't make head nor tail of sth完全弄不明白某事
The policy is so convoluted even college presidents are confused.
这项政策太令人费解,甚至连大学校长们也是一头雾水。
The annoying thing about the scheme is that it's confusing.
这项计划可气的地方是它让人一头雾水。
Her resignation put her colleagues in a spin.
她的辞职令同事们摸不着头脑。
The management group's decision still boggled his mind.
管理层的决定仍让他丈二和尚摸不着头脑。
The roads here are quite a maze, criss-crossing one another in a fashion that at times defies logic.
这里的道路如迷宫般纵横交错,有时让人摸不着头脑。
Being new here, I'm very much in the dark myself!
我刚来,真是丈二和尚摸不着头脑!
I didn't have the faintest idea what you meant.
我一点也不明白你的意思。
I'm still not clear what the job involves.
我仍然不明白这项工作包括哪些内容。
She tried to explain how the system works, but it's all Greek to me.
她努力解释系统如何运作,可我怎么也弄不明白。
I couldn't follow the talk because he kept jumping about from one topic to another.
我听不明白他的讲话,他老是转换话题。
She told me what it meant at great length but I'm afraid I'm none the wiser.
她费尽口舌给我解释它的意思,可我恐怕还是不明白。
I can't get a handle on these sales figures.
我搞不懂这些销售数字。
He has no idea how to run a business. 他丝毫不懂企业管理。
I don't have the remotest idea what you're talking about.
你在说什么我一点都不懂。
These instructions make fuck all sense to me.
这些指示我他妈的一点也看不懂。
I can't make anything of this note. 我根本不懂这封短信的意思。
I couldn't understand a sodding thing! 我他妈的一点儿都搞不懂!
